- Muscles involved in tightening
- The right technique is the basis of the result.
- Pulling up from scratch
- Types of pull-ups
- Auxiliary exercises
- Training program
Pulling up on a horizontal bar is one of the most popular sports exercises, which allows to determine and develop the strength indicators of a person, strengthen and increase muscles and develop self-confidence. However, not all the bar immediately given the power. Below will be given some recommendations on how to master this shell in the shortest possible time.
Muscles involved in tightening
This exercise is one of the basic ones, since it involves different muscle groups and the movement of the shoulder and elbow joints:
- The widest back musclesare responsible for the movement of the joints of the shoulders towards the center of the body and the abduction of the arms back.
• Biceps areinvolved less actively than the latissimus, with a classic pull-up, but loaded with tightening with a reverse grip. Their function is to rotate the forearm and bend the arms.
Trapezius musclesare responsible for moving the shoulder blades and supporting the arms.
• Deltoid muscles . Directly in the pull-up involved only the rear beam of deltas (also responsible for the abduction of hands back), but this exercise helps to strengthen all three beams.
• Muscles of the forearm . Allow the athlete to hold on to the bar.
• The crust muscles are not directly involved in the exercise. However, they are involved in stabilizing the body of an athlete.
The right technique is the basis of the result.
As in any other exercise, adherence to technology is an important component of success. Below will be considered the technique of performing pull-ups with a straight middle grip. This type of exercise is as effective as possible, it affects the back and arms, evenly shaping and strengthening the figure.
Technique performance. It is necessary to hang on the crossbar so that the hands are at the level of the width of the shoulders, palms away. Four fingers are located on the crossbar on top, straight grip, and the thumb, grabs the crossbar on the bottom. Hands relaxed.
After that, you should take a breath and gently pull yourself up, taking his chin to the top of the crossbar. It is advisable to pull up only with the help of the arms and back, without swinging the legs, although at the initial stage this method is allowed.
Bending the legs at the knees back is not a violation of the pull-up technique.
It is necessary to go down on the exhale, fully straightening the hands.
Pulling up from scratch
Before starting the basic exercises, you need to warm up to warm up the muscles and minimize the possibility of injury. The warm-up should include exercises to warm up the neck, back and arms. These exercises include rotation of the head, shoulders, hips, bends, waving his arms.
People who pull up more than 2-3 times can immediately start working on the horizontal bar. However, not all beginners can perform one repetition. In this case, you should think about the reasons for such results. Perhaps all the fault of overweight. In this case, you should not immediately engage on the horizontal bar, since the load on the joints is very high. It is necessary to rebuild the diet (reduce the amount of carbohydrates and increase the amount of protein), and then proceed to classes.
An excellent option would be jogging or circuit training (several exercises are performed in a row with a break of no more than 30 seconds). When the weight of the athlete will return to normal – you can proceed to pull-ups.
The next reason why a person does not pull up is poorly developed muscles. In this situation, we can recommend the implementation of simplified pull-ups:
1.Pagging on a low crossbar. To perform this exercise, you will need a crossbar located at a height of about 100 cm. It is necessary to hang on it with your hands (this will be almost a lying position), straightening your body, resting your heels on the floor. At the same time, the arms remain straight (the grip can be both direct and reverse). Next, you should take a breath, reduce the scapula and smoothly pull up to the maximum chest closer to the crossbar.
If this version of the exercise seems too easy, you can complicate it by placing the crossbar slightly higher. Ideally, you need to achieve ease of tightening at the widest upper grip. In such an implementation, pulling up, except for the arms, will work out the back muscles.
- Negative repetitions. With a slow lowering of the body, the load on the muscles is slightly less, but sufficient for the initial level. Even beginners can do this part of the exercise. To perform this element it is necessary to hang on the horizontal bar so that the chin is over the crossbar. You can do this with the help of a partner, or standing on a chair. Then you should go down as smoothly as possible (breathing – as with ordinary pull-ups). After that, you need to return to the starting position and do another 5-7 repetitions.
To complicate the exercise, you can hang at the top point for a few seconds.
3.Pagging with an expander. To facilitate the pull-ups, you can use the expander. It is suspended on the horizontal bar, and the athlete’s foot is fixed in the loop formed. The technique of pull-ups remains the same. At a tension the expander will take a part of loading on itself.
4.Pagging with the help of a partner. In this case, the technique of execution will be the same as with conventional pull-ups. The only difference is that here the partner will assist the athlete. To complicate the exercise, the negative part can be performed independently.
- Work on simulators. When training pull-ups, you can resort to using various simulators. One of the exercises that are suitable in this case will be the thrust of the upper unit.
Quite often you can hear the opinion that you can not pull up with jerks. This is not quite true. For many newbies, such “cheating” will even be useful, as it will facilitate the learning process. But you can not abuse this technique.
Types of pull-ups
There are several options for pull-ups:
This method of pulling up differs from the usual only in that the palms are directed towards themselves. This option allows you to shift the load on the biceps, making tightening easier.
Pull-ups using the back grip are perfect for both beginners and experienced athletes who want to work out their biceps.
This pull-up loads the trapezius and the widest muscles of the back. To perform it, it is necessary to fix with your hands with a grip on top of your shoulders. After that, you need to pull up on the inhale. It is important to ensure that the pull-up is carried out by moving the shoulder blades back, and not by the hands.
To verify the correctness of the technique, you can ask someone to put a hand edge between the shoulders of an athlete. After that it is necessary to reduce the shoulder blades, trying to squeeze the hand. Approximately the same movement should be with tightening.
This technique of pull-ups redistributes the load from the arms to the spinal muscles.
For experienced athletes there is a complicated version of pull-ups, when during lifting it is necessary to take the body and head forward so that the crossbar is behind the head. Then the load on the top of the back and the delta increases.
The distance between the palms is missing or about a fist. Taking a breath, you must pull your chin above the bar. In this exercise, the bottom of the broadest muscle of the back is used as much as possible when tightening with a grip on top, and biceps with a lower grip.
Pullups along the horizontal bar
Performing the pull-ups in this way, you need to lock the crossbar with a narrow multi-grip (palms are turned towards each other). Next, you need to catch up on the inhale, trying to touch the crossbar chest. The head at the same time is taken aside from a horizontal bar. This variant involves jagged muscles, deltas, and the lowest latitudes.
Often, the effectiveness of training may decrease after several months of training. To avoid this, you can include in the classes some auxiliary exercises, developing muscles.
- Forearm A weak grip is a fairly common reason that hinders the athlete’s further progress. For the development of the muscles of the forearm is perfect hanging on the bar with the weights. It is necessary to pick up a load with which you can hang for about 60 seconds. This exercise can be loaded and the broadest. To do this, it is necessary to tighten up the minimum due to the back muscles (simply pull the shoulder blades away) and fix the body in this position.
- The broadest muscles. Worked out the upper and lower blocks on the simulator.
- Biceps. This is one of the main muscles working when performing pull-ups. Therefore, it is impossible to forget about it. Bending your arms with a barbell or with dumbbells will help strengthen this muscle group.
- “One and a half pull-ups”are the usual pull-ups, but with a slight difference. It is necessary to pull up to the chin, and then go down, but only to the level of the forehead. After that, you should again pull up to the chin and go down completely. This is one repetition. Performing such an exercise contributes to an increase in the results of regular pull-ups.
It is better to compose a program of studies independently. This is not so difficult, but you must follow some rules.
The number of approaches can be any, but most often it is 4-6 approaches. Depending on the level of training, the number of repetitions is determined (close to the maximum). The time between approaches should be sufficient to restore breathing, but not more than 2-3 minutes. Beginners better practice three times a week, every other day. Over time, the number of workouts can be increased.
Here is a rough training plan for beginners:
1) Pull-ups on a low crossbar – 5 approaches 10 times.
2) Negative pull-ups – 4 sets of 7 times.
1) Pull-ups with an expander (or with a partner) – 5 sets of 10 repetitions.
2) Traction of the upper block – 3 sets of 5 repetitions (the weight is chosen to fulfill this number of repetitions).
3) Negative repetitions – 3 sets of 10 times.
1) Pull-ups on the horizontal bar – 3 sets. Try to pull up 2-3 times in each approach (if it does not work out – with jerks).
2) Traction of the upper block – 3 sets of 12 repetitions (the weight is chosen to fulfill this number of repetitions).
Week 10 and beyond
1) Perform 5 approaches of pull-ups to the maximum (sometimes changing the hooks).
2) If necessary, include in a workout auxiliary exercises